Gel burns dressings are useful to quickly treat a burn. You can treat any type of burn by first holding it under running water for at least ten minutes. This cools the burn and prevents more damage. Chemical burns should also be washed off, but be careful of the runoff, of water, as you do not want to spread the chemical to another part of the body or onto yourself. Some chemicals react with water, so again take care.
Be aware of the potential shock of the burn patient. If that does occur, you will have to treat the patient for shock.
The use of special burns dressing is also advised, as they cool the burn and do not stick. By removing the air from the burn, you can also reduce pain for the patient.